5 essential tips to maintain normal TSH levels
The various bodily functions depend on the appropriate functioning of the organs in our body. Any disruption in the same can cause a lot of damage to the individual. Blood sugar levels, blood pressure, creatinine levels, cholesterol, etc. serve as a parameter which indicates whether the body functions to its full potential. Any discrepancies in these levels are a sign that the there’s something wrong with the body. Similarly, normal Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels indicate a healthy thyroid gland.
TSH is the kind of hormone that is known to stimulate the thyroid gland in producing the right amount of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) hormones, that aid the process of metabolism. Any disruption in the normal TSH levels can lead to hypothyroidism (caused by more TSH) and hyperthyroidism (caused by less TSH). In order to prevent these thyroid-related conditions, it is imperative to maintain normal TSH levels. Here’s how one can achieve this feat.
- Include iodine in your diet– People who suffer from thyroid-related problems are known to suffer from iodine deficiency as well. The thyroid gland requires iodine to process the hormones, and the insufficiency can add to the thyroid-related woes. Seafood is the ultimate source of iodine, and for maintaining normal TSH levels in the body, one needs sufficient iodine. A healthy thyroid gland ensures that you steer clear of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
- Cut down on refined and processed foods- Unhealthy food doesn’t only affect the production of the thyroid hormone, it poses a great risk as a health hazard. In order to maintain normal TSH levels in the body, one needs to stop consuming refined and processed food.
- Increase your selenium intake- Studies have linked selenium levels to thyroid health. To maintain normal TSH levels, and to ensure that the thyroid gland stays healthy, one needs to increase the intake of selenium. Include foods rich in selenium such as tuna, shrimp, brazil nuts, chicken, and turkey.
- Add natural supplements to your diet- Thyroid health depends upon a lot of factors, and the right level of minerals in the body is one of them. Even if your diet is perfect, there are chances that you still might not be getting the right amount of minerals. So, consider taking supplements instead. Idoine, vitamin D, magnesium, B vitamins, and selenium supplements are instrumental in helping maintain normal TSH levels.
- Coconut oil- Virgin coconut oil is known to boost metabolism. In case the normal TSH levels are disrupted, it will affect the production of thyroid hormone and this, in turn, affects the metabolism process. So, 2 spoons of virgin coconut oil will ensure a healthy thyroid gland.