5 things you can do to treat bulging disc
A degenerative disc disease, bulging disc affects people in their older age. With age, the discs in the spine become weak as the water content deteriorates. The discs become vulnerable to complications such as bulges. Bad posture, sedentary lifestyle, an injury and occupational hazards such as heavy lifting, bending, standing and driving for long hours can bring about bulging disc.
Bulging disc causes a lot of pain and numbness in the affected areas. It can also affect the movement of the person and the ability to carry out routine tasks. Also, the symptoms are quite difficult to manage, bulging disc does not require any surgery. Here are a few things that can be done to get relief from bulging disc and carry on with daily life without any difficulties:
- Maintain a good posture: One of the most effective bulging disc treatment that prevents this degenerative disc disease from aggravating further is to maintain a good posture. This is especially for those who spend long hours behind a desk. Using ergonomic chairs and desks is essential. Stretch a lot and get up from the chair frequently and walk around.
- Get sufficient rest: In case of bulging disc, it is necessary to prevent the bones and joint from inflammation, which makes the affected disc weak and aggravates the pain. Inflammation is usually caused by overworking the muscles and joints. This makes it necessary that you get sufficient sleep of at least 7 to 8 hours and take regular breaks if you are doing strenuous physical work.
- Keep a watch on the weight: Obesity puts unnecessary pressure on the spine and makes bulging disc symptoms worse. Maintaining a healthy body mass index is necessary. This will help to ease the pressure from the bulging disc. A daily exercise routine and a healthy diet can help to lose weight if you are overweight.
- Do stretches: Follow a regular back stretching routine. Consult a physiotherapist or a chiropractor to know what kind of stretching exercises can help to get relief from the pain and numbness. A chiropractor can also help to come up with a bulging disc treatment that reduces pain to a great extent.
- Use alternate therapies: Alternate therapies such as acupuncture, therapeutic massages, and aromatherapy and so on to alleviate painful symptoms of bulging disc. These treatments help to relax the affected muscles and tissues and increase the flow of blood and relieve the pain by releasing endorphins. This helps to heal the areas inflamed by the bulging disc.