A Closer Look at the Symptoms of Influenza Flu
Influenza is a particular kind of viral infection that attacks the respiratory system of patients, particularly areas such as the nose, throat, and lungs. Influenza is commonly known as flu, but it is not the same as stomach “flu” viruses, which are known to cause diarrhea and vomiting. In some of the cases, influenza does not require medical attention. The influenza flu symptoms come and go away silently. However, under some special circumstances, influenza and its complications have the potential to be fatal. There are a few influenza flu symptoms that need to be discussed for people to know and be aware of. Let us take a look at the symptoms of influenza.
Many people make the mistake of confusing flu with a very bad cold, and that is extremely common. Flu and cold symptoms both have a few overlapping symptoms that include a runny or blocked nose, a sore throat, and constant coughing. Listed below are some of the common symptoms of influenza flu that are different from a heavy cold:
- High temperature and constant bouts of it
- Cold sweats and shivering in the entire body
- A headache and a general dizziness
- Extreme amounts of pain in the joints and limbs
- Fatigue and exhaustion
In many cases, fatigue is thought to be one of the earliest influenza flu symptoms. With the flu, the fatigue can become more extreme. There are other early symptoms such as a cough, sore throat, fever, body ache, chilling in separate parts of the body, and in some rare cases, gastrointestinal changes. Early symptoms should be immediately noticed and it is advisable to consult a doctor.
Symptoms in children
- They start to breathe fast or have trouble breathing in general.
- Their skin turns bluish.
- They are not able to drink enough fluids necessary for the body.
- They refuse to wake up or interact with other people.
- They tend to become extremely cranky.
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and a worsened cough.
- They have fever along with rash all over their body.
Though it is not a very serious disease in most of the cases, influenza flu symptoms should not be neglected as it may lead to health conditions such as pneumonia. Moreover, consulting a doctor can help reduce the symptoms and treat the condition effectively.