What is the ideal type 2 diabetes diet?
Diet is an important part of a type 2 diabetes treatment plan. Depending on the diabetes diagnosis and the current diet plan, one might need to make minor changes to the diet or a complete revamping of the same.
The right diet for type 2 Diabetes
The ideal diet for type 2 diabetes includes more fiber and less fatty and refined foods. There aren’t many difficult diet adjustments that people with type 2 diabetes need to make. The diet plan is easy to follow. But yes, one needs to be careful about what you eat.
Foods to eat –
- Whole grains – whole wheat, barley, quinoa, wild rice, wheat bran, brown rice.
- Fruits – strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, citrus fruits.
- Vegetables – leafy greens, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus and any non-starchy ones.
- Vegetarian protein – legumes (try different beans, lentils, and peas), nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans (in moderation).
- Animal protein – salmon, tuna, herring and sardines.
- Healthy fats – peanut oil, olive oil, flaxseeds, avocados (all in moderation).
- Dairy – low-fat plain yogurt, low-fat milk.
Foods to avoid –
- Refined flour
- Processed foods
- Full-fat milk and other dairy products
- White rice, pasta
- Red meat
- Starchy vegetables
- Sugar-rich beverages
- Trans fats
- Saturated fats
- Salty foods
- Fried foods
Other tips –
- For treatment of type 2 diabetes, eating on time is also important. If one doesn’t eat on time, the blood sugar levels can drop.
- Include different types of foods in the diet for maximum benefits.
- Eat less salt. Type 2 diabetes can raise your risk of high blood pressure. So moderate the salt intake.
- Add fiber to the diet but ensure that you don’t eat it in excess. Diabetes raises the risk of heart disease. So, maintain a healthy weight and keep your cholesterol in check.
- Avoid overeating.
Along with a healthy diet, one needs to exercise regularly to control the blood sugar. Otherwise, the type 2 diabetes treatment may not work well. It is possible to manage the condition without any diabetes medication with just the right diet and exercise plan.